We at Solus Trust Company Limited (“Solus Trust”) are committed through responsible information management to protecting the privacy of the individuals whose personal information we hold. Any personal information obtained by Solus Trust is collected, used and disclosed pursuant to the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act and other applicable legislation.
Personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual but does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an individual in their capacity as an employee of an organization.
Solus Trust automatically collects and stores the following information from visitors to its website:
- The Internet Protocol Address and domain name used. The Internet Protocol Address is a numerical identifier assigned either to the individual internet service provider or directly to the individual’s computer. This address can be translated to determine the domain name of the individual’s service provider;
- The type of the browser and operating system;
- The date and time of the visit; and
- The web pages or services accessed.
Information collected automatically through the website will be used for purposes such as assessing system performance, improving web services and website management. Solus Trust will not use this information to determine an individual’s identity unless required to do so as part of an internal investigation or other law enforcement purpose.
Solus Trust will collect and record personal information provided to us by an individual through correspondence including e-mails and faxes, meetings, telephone conversations and other forms of communication. Such information shall only be used by authorized staff at Solus Trust to fulfill the purpose for which it was originally collected or for a use consistent with that purpose, unless the individual expressly consents otherwise.
Such information may be used by Solus Trust for the purpose of:
- Identifying individuals as clients or potential clients;
- Assessing the estate or trust related needs of a potential client and submitting to them a proposal for services from Solus Trust;
- Providing clients with the estate or trust related services requested;
- Submitting regular, periodic reports to clients and/or their beneficiaries on the administration of their account;
- Determining appropriate action to be taken in the administration of an account when exercising discretion given to Solus Trust by a client; and
- Assisting with any aspect of the administration of the client’s account.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list and Solus Trust may collect other information about an individual from time to time as is determined to be appropriate by senior management or the Board of Directors of Solus Trust.
Solus Trust does not share, sell or make available an individual’s personal information with third parties unless:
- the individual authorizes Solus Trust to share the information (e.g. with a potential provider of financial services to their account at Solus Trust); or
- Solus Trust is required to do so by law.
Solus Trust will retain all information collected from an individual until at least the minimum legally required period of time after the individual’s account with Solus Trust has been closed. During that time period, Solus Trust is obligated to protect the individual’s personal information by making reasonable security arrangements against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure or disposal. Security measures to achieve these objectives have been integrated into the daily operation practices of Solus Trust.
An individual may review the personal information that Solus Trust has recorded about them but only about them and not any other individual. An individual may, however, provide Solus Trust with written permission to permit another individual to review the personal information that Solus Trust has recorded about them but again, only about them and not about any other individual.
If you wish to ask any questions or have any concerns about the personal information that Solus Trust collects, please contact our privacy officer at 604-683-5949 (1-866-764-1343 if calling from outside the Lower Mainland) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.